Greening of Lebuh Acheh and Lebuh Armenian
George Town World Heritage Incorporated (GTWHI) welcomes public opinions and comments of the proposed project of Greening on Lebuh Acheh and Lebuh Armenian.
Communities and public review of the proposed project are critical. You can help improve the quality and relevance of the project through reviews of the project specifications that will be displaying in GTWHI. Below is the detail
Date: 9 March – 23 March 2012 (Monday – Friday)
Time: 8.00 am to 5.00pm
Venue: George Town World Heritage Incorporated 116 & 118 LebuhAcheh 10200 Penang
Contact: +604-261 6606
Proposed of Greening of Lebuh Acheh and Lebuh Armenian
- A more connected city with increased walkability will increase connectivity to help improve business activities and improve the George Town experience.
- Improving streetscapes, with sensitivity towards the entryway to the city’s heritage zone
- Empowering communities to be involved in the management of their shared spaces
Why we need to green George Town World Heritage Site?
- To encourage and strengthen community participation in the management and care of/for “public gardens”
- To encourage positive working partnerships between public and private stakeholders
- To create awareness about “shared spaces” with particular reference to the cultural identity of a particular “shared space”
- To do outreach and educational programmes involving the wider Penang community
Why Lebuh Acheh and Lebuh Armenian was chosen as the site?
Armenian Park and the streets bordering it were chosen as it is one of the focal point of the Heritage Core Zone. The impact of “greening” the street will be “felt” most keenly as the street will be well shaded to encourage exploration by foot. Armenian Park will also be a welcome relief to take in the unique surrounding environment of Georgetown Unesco World Heritage City.
This project follows the Heritage Management Plan that encourages communities’ participation in the management and care of public greening projects. It is also an extension from the pilot programme of Lebuh Carnarvon.
How you can help us?
If you are living or working in this area, or general public who concern of our living environment, we would like to hear from you.We cordially inviting you to GTWHI to view and participate in our interactive proposed project display from 9 March – 23 March 2012 (weekdays). The public display will be on from 8.00am-5.00pm Please help us by giving us your feedback and comments of the proposed project.
The implementation of the greening project on Lebuh Acheh and Lebuh Armenian, as part of the Cleaner Greener Penang initiative by the Penang State Government is a joint effort of George Town World Heritage Incorporated (GTWHI), in partnership with Majlis Perbandaran Pulau Pinang (MPPP), Think City Sdn Bhd (TCSB) and Penang Institute.