Explore the historic core of George Town – register now!
Our "Heritage Exploration" tours are specially designed to give students a hands-on experience to understand the multiculturalism of George Town shaped by different migrant groups that settled here. The legacy of these groups is still evident in the traditional trades and businesses of the city, in the food that we consume, in the objects carefully crafted by artisans, and in the architecture of buildings where each design tells a story. Through activities that blend history, geography, culture and social studies, students will broaden their understanding and perception of heritage and identity, and will gain a newfound appreciation for Penang's multicultural history and contemporary communities.
Registration is on a first come first served basis (one free tour for each school). Our Exploration guides are volunteers specially trained in activity-centred learning and guiding skills.
We offer 4 different themed tours: "Traditional Customs and Practices in George Town " for primary school children, " Early Settlements of George Town " and " The Early Secret Societies in George Town " for secondary schools, and "George Town Cultural Heritage Trail" for both primary and secondary school children. The tours for school children are conducted in English, Bahasa Malaysia and Mandarin.
For details about the tours, please click here.
Conditions & Regulations:
- Tour does not include entrance fee into special heritage buildings.
- The heritage trails are based on a first come first served basis and each school is limited to ONE sponsored heritage trail only.
- Schools are to provide own transport to and from venue, refreshments and group insurance for students.
- Booking and confirmation of the heritage trail is required three weeks in advance. The participation form and name list of students should be sent to the address below by email or fax.
- Participants are required to bring: Stationery (pencil and notepad), drinking water and cap or umbrella/poncho (optional).
Click here to download the registration form.
For registration and enquiries, please contact Lim Chung Wei at or 04-261 6606.