Conservation Studio Coordinator
Fields of Expertise
- Paper Conservation
- Textile Conservation
- Herbarium Specimens Conservation
- Collections Care and Conservation
Annie Lee is Conservation Studio Coordinator and Paper Conservator at George Town World Heritage Incorporated. Her expertise is on the restoration and conservation of old documents, works of art on paper, and old architectural plans, as well as archiving paper-based material. Apart from conducting workshops to conserve the collection of herbarium sheets and specimen labels at Penang Botanic Gardens, Annie also provides practical advice to committee members and representatives of clan houses in George Town, state government agencies and the public through workshops on preservation of heritage collections. She completed the international course on ‘Conserving Photographic and Archival Collections’ organised by CollAsia, a training partnership between the International Centre for the Study of the Preservation and Restoration of Cultural Property (ICCROM) and the Cultural Heritage Administration of Korea in 2018. Annie’s interests are in preventive conservation and sustainable preservation, while she is also keen to develop educational programmes to raise awareness on cultural heritage values and share her knowledge with the local community.
I am a unique Site Manager because my work primarily focuses on granting new life to artefacts such as paper and textile. Renewing and conserving these artefacts prolong their survival whilst allowing their historical value and stories to continue living for generations to come. I conduct object conservation training workshops every year through George Town World Heritage Incorporated as a mechanism to foster community participation, a pivotal aspect to a multicultural site like George Town. Furthermore, I spend time to support the communities through consultations on heritage related matters. Hand in hand, these collaborations will benefit the communities, authorities and more importantly, the inscribed Property.
- Conservation Studio Coordinator, George Town World Heritage Incorporated (2014 – Current).
- Conserving Photographic and Archival Collection, Ho Chi Minh City University of Culture, Vietnam, 2018.
- Certificate of Participation on Collections Care in Museums and Galleries, Artlab Australia, 2017.
- Certificate in Textile Conservation Training, Artlab Australia, 2018.
- 2020 – Current, Video Documentation of Paper Conservation.
- 2020 – Current, Herbarium Specimens Conservation, Penang Botanic Gardens, Malaysia.
- 2019, Conserved Historical Document of Nine Emperor God Temple Hong Kong Street George Town Penang, Malaysia.
- 2018 – 2019, Textile Conservation Capacity Training for the Local Community in George Town, Malaysia.
- 2017 – 2019, Paper Conservation Workshops for the public, state agencies and local communities.
- 2017, Workshop on Collections Care in Museums and Galleries, organised by Artlab Australia, Penang State Museum and George Town World Heritage Incorporated.
- 2016 – 2019, Conservation of the Embroidery banner of Hong Kong Street Nine Emperor Gods Temple, Penang, Malaysia.
- 2016, Paper Conservation of Penang Botanic Gardens.
- 2016, Conserved Documents of Colonial Museum.
|Mandarin||Mother tongue. Excellent in reading, writing and speaking.|
|English||Basic in reading, writing and speaking.|
|Bahasa Melayu||Basic in reading, writing and speaking.|
|Cantonese||Fluent in speaking.|