15 January 2020
George Town World Heritage Incorporated Heritage Recognition and Awards 2020
The inaugural George Town World Heritage Incorporated He
The awards consist of four categories – Conservation, Enhancement and Adaptation Award, Cultural Heritage Events and Activities Award, Lifetime Achievement Award, and Cultural Continuity Recognition.
Category 1: Conservation, Enhancement and Adaptation Award
- For outstanding projects on conservation of built heritage or projects that complement and utilise the existing heritage fabric, repurposing, and new developments which are sympathetic to the traditional uses of a site and its structures and which enhance or maintain its heritage value.
- Any project completed within the George Town World Heritage Site from 2008 to 2019.
- Prize is given to the project owner.
Any project completed within the George Town World Heritage Site from 2008 to 2019.
Category 2: Cultural Heritage Events and Activities Award
- For outstanding cultural heritage related events or activities that have been organised continuously for the past 5 years, for the purpose of promoting education, interpretation and community engagement in heritage.
- Prize is given to the main organiser.
The heritage related event or activity must take place, processed through, or based at George Town UNESCO World Heritage Site, and has been conducted continuously for the past 5 years (2015-2019).
Category 3: Lifetime Achievement Award
For individuals who have long-term commitments and special merit in the field of conservation, protection, mastery of skills, know-how, and practices, and have displayed outstanding efforts, skills and dedication to transmit the skills and knowledge of cultural heritage.
Malaysia citizens or permanent residents, aged 60 years and above, with contributions to Penang’s cultural heritage.
Category 4: Cultural Continuity Recognition
Any dedicated individuals, organisations, businesses or services that have been established for at least 25 years and have demonstrated excellence in continuing the traditions of George Town cultural heritage values.
- Platinum: 100 years and above
- Gold: 50 – 99 years
- Silver: 25 – 49 years
- Malaysia citizens or permanent residents
- The nominee can be from or beyond the George Town World Heritage Site, but they must have demonstrated active activities in the past 25 years at least.
Individuals and groups may self-nominate or be nominated by the public.
- Complete the form and prepare all supporting documents for the submission.
- Submit the complete set of documents either by e-mail to email@example.com or deliver the documents by mail/hand to:
George Town World Heritage Incorporated,
(Heritage Recognition and Awards 2020)
No. 116 & 118, Lebuh Acheh,
10200 George Town, Penang.
All nomination forms and supporting documents must be submitted to George Town World Heritage Incorporated by 15 April 2020, 5:00 PM to be considered for this year’s award. Late submissions will be considered for the following year’s awards edition.
Review and Selection Process
- The nominations will be reviewed by the Jury Panel appointed by George Town World Heritage Incorporated and recommended for designation by the Board of Directors of George Town World Heritage Incorporated.
- Eligible recipients will be notified after the recommendations have been approved.
- George Town World Heritage Incorporated will announce the outcome of their nominations by 7 June 2020.
- Each award or recognition recipient will be presented with a plaque and certificate.
- They will also be given the priority in George Town World Heritage Incorporated cultural promotional activities.
Recipients will be invited to a special awards reception in which the Chief Minister of Penang will present the awards.