Tieh Kok Yang
Events Management Officer
Fields of Expertise
- Event Management
- Project Management
- Resource Mobilisation
Tieh Kok Yang ventured into events management after realising he would not make it as a cinematographer. Now as Events Management Officer with George Town World Heritage Incorporated, Kok Yang works on the planning, managing, marketing, and reporting of the organisation’s events. He was Producer for George Town Heritage Celebrations 2018, and has assumed the role again for George Town Heritage Celebrations 2019. Kok Yang received his bachelor’s degree in Communication and Media from University of Southern Queensland in 2012, before kickstarting his career in coordinating and executing events and projects in the northern region of Malaysia for three years. While travelling to work one day, Kok Yang concluded that events management and film production are similar in that both fields require creative strategies to engage audiences, effective solutions, systematic project management, and adaptability to ever-changing working environments, with the end product being the only difference. He continues to improve himself by managing heritage related projects and enjoys watching films in his free time.
I am a resourceful Site Manager because I stand in between community groups, local authorities and heritage enthusiasts, granting me the privilege to work with individuals of different profiles. As the Producer of the annual George Town Heritage Celebrations, I view this commemoration as a platform to empower local communities. This cross-sector collaboration has provided a myriad of opportunities to various communities and facilitated the transmission of George Town’s cultural heritage to more than 10,000 visitors annually. I also partner with project teams and apply my resources to brainstorm and initiate innovative measures to bring the Celebrations to greater heights.
- Events Management Officer, George Town World Heritage Incorporated (2015 – Current).
- Bachelor of Communication and Media, University of Southern Queensland, (2010 – 2012), https://www.usq.edu.au/study/degrees/media-and-communication/public-relations
- Diploma in Mass Communication (Broadcasting), Han Chiang University College of Communication (Formerly known as Han Chiang College) (2007 – 2009), https://hcu.edu.my/course-detail/diploma-mass-communication
- Seventh Asia-Pacific Urban Forum (APUF-7), Penang, Malaysia, 2019.
- Community Workshop on Cultural Heritage Disaster Risk Management for George Town, George Town World Heritage Incorporated, 2019.
- International Conference on Managing Urban Cultural Heritage, George Town World Heritage Incorporated, 2018.
- Inception Workshop on Capacity Building for Disaster Risk Reduction of Heritage Cities in Southeast Asia and Small Island Developing States in the Pacific, George Town World Heritage Incorporated and UNESCO Office in Jakarta, 2017.
- 2020 – Current, George Town Heritage Celebrations 2020.
- 2019, George Town Heritage Celebrations: Let’s Celebrate – Rituals and Festive Events, Penang, Malaysia.
- 2018, George Town Heritage Celebrations: Potential – Of the Past, In the Present, For the Future, Penang, Malaysia.
- 2017, Southeast Asian Collaborative Meeting on Safeguarding Intangible Cultural Heritage: Enhancing Viability in Intangible Cultural Heritage Community, Penang, Malaysia.
- 2017, George Town Heritage Celebrations: Walk the Talk – Oral Traditions and Expressions, Penang, Malaysia.
- 2016, George Town Heritage Celebrations: Mai Main – Traditional Sports and Games, Penang, Malaysia.
- 2016, Kaki Lima Short Film Competition, Penang, Malaysia.
|English||Good in reading, writing and speaking.|
|Bahasa Melayu||Good in reading, writing and speaking.|
|Mandarin||Average in speaking.|