Fields of Expertise
- Architectural Conservation
- Oral History
- Application of New Technologies within Architectural Conservation
- Disaster Risk Mitigation and Management
- Maritime Cultural Landscapes and Historic Urban Landscapes: Management, Documentation and Policy
Virajitha Chimalapati is a Conservation Architect and has been working in the field of heritage conservation for more than a decade in different capacities including as researcher, oral historian, architect and designer in diverse and varied projects. Her research interests are the community lead cultural heritage management within maritime cultural landscapes, with a special focus on historic port cities. Virajitha is now responsible for project management and programming, including community lead strategy development for conservation of historic built fabric, disaster risk reduction strategies, post disaster damage assessment and sustainable rehabilitation of heritage buildings, application of new technologies for development of pre-emptive conservation of the historic built fabric as well as application of green building tools within heritage buildings. Above all else, she is interested in unearthing how cultural heritage aids in understanding present urban spaces and provides us information to shape the future.
I am a thoughtful Site Manager because I believe that a thorough understanding of the past processes that lead up to current decision-making, ownership and involvement of communities in defining their own spaces are the only ways to design a sustainable future. As a Conservation Architect, I also appreciate the role of cultural heritage in improving the quality of life. My duties allow me to channel my technical skills towards empowering communities and enabling them to transmit their unique cultural heritage.
- Conservation Architect, George Town World Heritage Incorporated (2017 – Current).
- Chief Ideator, Founder Partner, PRAVARA | People | Research | Architecture (2019 – Current).
- Master of Architecture (Architectural Conservation), School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi, India (2009 – 2011).
- PG Diploma in Urban Planning and Development, Indira Gandhi National Open University, India (2016 – 2018).
- Master in History and Heritage Management, Annamalai University, India (2013 – 2016).
- Bachelor of Architecture (Architecture), SRM School of Architecture, Anna University, India (2002 – 2007).
- Curation and Gallery Management Workshop, George Town World Heritage Incorporated, 2019.
- Seventh Asia-Pacific Urban Forum (APUF-7), Penang, Malaysia, ESCAP, UN HABITAT and MBPP, 2019.
- Heritage & Conservation Workshop 2019: Lime, George Town World Heritage Incorporated, 2019.
- Experience Sharing Workshop on Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) Strategy among Heritage Cities in Southeast Asia, Pacific and Africa, George Town World Heritage Incorporated and UNESCO Office in Jakarta, 2019.
- Community Workshop on Cultural Heritage Disaster Risk Management for George Town, George Town World Heritage Incorporated, 2019.
- Community-based Intangible Cultural Heritage Inventorying in George Town 2019: Training of Trainer Workshop, George Town World Heritage Incorporated, 2019.
- Intangible Cultural Heritage Capacity Building Program, George Town World Heritage Incorporated, 2018.
- Introduction to Heritage Conservation Workshop, George Town World Heritage Incorporated, 2017.
- PMP Training Classes, 2016.
- Director (International Programs and Communications) RVS Padmavathy School of Architecture, India (2017 – 2019).
- Associate Professor, RVS Padmavathy School of Architecture, India (2017 – 2019).
- Senior Architect, Gayathri and Namith Architects, India (2011 – 2012).
- Architect, Shilpsala, India (2009 – 2012).
- 2019 – Current, Repair and Restoration of George Town World Heritage Incorporated Office Premises at No. 116 and 118, Lebuh Acheh, George Town, Penang, Malaysia.
- 2019 – Current, Climate Vulnerability Index for George Town World Heritage Site, Penang, Malaysia.
- 2019 – Current, Quantitative Documentation of Vibration and Tilt in Buildings within George Town World Heritage Site, Penang, Malaysia.
- 2018 – Current, George Town Heritage Habitat Seeds Fund for Long Term Tenants of George Town UNESCO World Heritage Site, Penang, Malaysia.
- 2018 – Current, UNESCO World Heritage Sites, Museums, and Creative Industry, George Town, Penang, Malaysia.
- 2017 – Current, Sia Boey Rejuvenation Project – An Urban Archaeological Park in George Town, Penang, Malaysia.
- 2016 – Current, “UNESCO World Heritage Site State of Conservation Reporting on Heritage Impact Assessment of the Proposed Bayan Lepas Light Rail Transit, Penang” at Sia Boey, George Town, Malaysia.
- 2020, Post-Disaster Damage Assessment, Risk Report and Recovery Strategies for No. 134, 136, 138, 140, 142 Lebuh Carnarvon, George Town, Penang, Malaysia.
- 2019, Restoration of Hock Teik Cheng Sin Temple Opera Stage, 57, Lebuh Armenian, 10200 George Town, Penang, Malaysia.
- 2019, George Town Heritage Celebrations: Let’s Celebrate – Rituals and Festive Events, Penang, Malaysia.
- 2018 – 2019, Phase 1: Documentation and Diagnostics towards Community Lead Conservation and Restoration of Ta Kam Hong Building (Penang Goldsmith Association, No. 41 Lebuh Muntri 10200, George Town, Penang, Malaysia.
- 2018 – 2019, Collaboration with Green Building Index Malaysia to develop the GBI:NREB: Historic Building Tool, George Town, Penang, Malaysia.
- 2018, George Town Heritage Celebrations, “Potential: From the Past, to the Present, for the Future”, to commemorate the 10th Anniversary of George Town as UNESCO World Heritage Site, George Town World Heritage Incorporated, Penang, Malaysia.
- 2017, George Town Heritage Celebrations, “Walk the Talk: Oral Traditions and Expressions”, to commemorate the 9th Anniversary of George Town as UNESCO World Heritage Site, Penang, Malaysia.
- 2016 – 2018, Oral History Documentation, George Town World Heritage Site, Penang.
- 2016, Research and Documentation of Po-Te-Hi, George Town World Heritage Site, Penang, Malaysia.
- Ang, Ming Chee and Virajitha Chimalapati. 2018. “Pragmatic Value-Based Urban Conservation: The Integrated Heritage Management of Sia Boey in Penang, Malaysia”, in meeting document of the First Meeting on Networking Asia-Pacific Heritage Practitioners, 5 – 8 November 2018, organised by WHITRAP at Jiangsu Province, China.
- “Defining the primary heritage components that constitute the urban historic landscape of Chintadaripettai (2014) ‘Sthapathyam’ a Journal of the Indian Science of Architecture and Allied Sciences. Volume 2, Issue 1, May 2015. ISSN: 2349-2368 RNI NO: DELBIL/2014/56060.
- 2 November 2018, “Disaster Risk Reduction for Cultural Heritage in George Town: The Scenario”, Community Training Workshop Series, organised by George Town World Heritage Incorporated, Penang, Malaysia.
- “Looking at the Cultural Heritage Impact Assessment as a tool for evolving a Cultural Heritage Conservation Strategy in the urban context” for National Conference on Architectural Heritage Conservation and Management PRACHEEN TATVA 2012, organised by School of Architecture, MS Ramaiah Institute of Technology, Bangalore.
- Registered Architect, Council of Architecture, India
- Life Member, Indian National Trust for Art and Cultural Heritage
- Member, International Council on Monuments and Sites
|Telugu||Mother tongue. Excellent in reading, writing and speaking.|
|English||Excellent in reading, writing and speaking.|
|Tamil||Fluent in reading, writing and speaking.|
|Hindi||Fluent in reading, writing and speaking.|
|French||Basic in reading and speaking.|