George Town Heritage Celebrations 2021
Mini-documentary Film Production
on Penang Cultural Heritage in the New Normal
15 March – 30 April 2021
George Town World Heritage Incorporated invites creative individuals and teams (Malaysians based in Penang) to submit proposals for the Mini-Documentary Film Production on Penang Cultural Heritage in the New Normal.
This Request for Proposal (RFP) is to select experienced individuals and teams or those who are passionate in producing mini-documentary films to produce 15 to 20-minute mini-documentary films highlighting the adaptations of cultural heritage practices in Penang during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The mini-documentary film shall capture the issues and challenges faced by cultural practitioners in Penang and highlight their adaptations in continuing the practice of their cultural heritage in the New Normal.
For sample topics, please refer to the ‘Community-Based Intangible Cultural Heritage Inventorying in George Town (Malaysia)’ document at
The budget for the mini-documentary film production is RM10,000 per film.
Proposals must be submitted in both Microsoft Word and PDF formats via email to [email protected] by 30 April 2021 (Friday), 5pm with the email subject line: RFP Submission for Penang Cultural Heritage in the New Normal.
For more information on this RFP, please email Mr Tieh Kok Yang ([email protected], 019-415 2112) by 23 April 2021, 12pm.
7/7 Heritage Day Sales Campaign
1 April – 31 July 2021
(Deadline extended to 30 September 2021)
The 7/7 Heritage Day Sales Campaign aims to promote products from George Town and Penang to a wider market in conjunction with the George Town World Heritage Day on 7 July 2021. All participating business partners will be authorised to display GTWHI’s Heritage logo from 1 July to 30 September 2021. This is a proactive approach by GTWHI to promote the George Town World Heritage Day and enhance collaboration with the private sector.
We invite businesses providing services or selling products in Penang to register with GTWHI to participate in this campaign. Registration is open from 1 April to 31 July 2021. (Deadline has been extended to 30 September 2021.)
Qualified applicants will be notified by GTWHI in written confirmation. Businesses that have successfully registered with GTWHI are authorised to use the Heritage logo.
For more information on this campaign, please contact Mr Vick Quah ([email protected], 016-561 3523).
#GeorgeTownHeritage Photo Contest
1 May – 30 July 2021
(Deadline extended to 30 September 2021)
In conjunction with George Town Heritage Celebrations 2021, GTWHI is organising the #GeorgeTownHeritage Photo Contest to raise awareness on the diversity of George Town’s cultural heritage through photographs and stories from the public.
Stand a chance to win Kaki Lima board games worth RM168 each, as well as limited edition GTWHI merchandise including notebooks, postcards and tote bags. Kaki Lima is a light strategy board game inspired by George Town’s pedestrian walkways, and is about pedestrian navigating their way through a grid of five-foot ways.
- Everyone who loves George Town can join this contest (except employees of George Town World Heritage Incorporated and their immediate family members). This contest is open internationally.
- Submit a photograph taken by you that is about George Town’s cultural heritage. Describe your picture in not more than 50 words, including the date, occasion and location. Your caption can be written in Malay, English, Tamil, or Mandarin. If you are writing in other languages, please provide the translation in English.
- Email your photo and description, with your name to [email protected] from 1 May to 30 July 2021. (Deadline has been extended to 30 September 2021.)
- Photos submitted must be in JPEG format and should be a minimum of 1 MB and not exceeding 2 MB in size. High-quality scans of non-digital photos are also accepted. Participants must ensure they have the authorisation to submit the photo for this contest.
- Multiple entries are allowed per person, but they are only entitled to receive one prize.
- Invite your friends to like your photos which will be published on the GTWHI Facebook page (@gtwhi). GTWHI will select winners with the most likes at the end of each voting period.
- GTWHI will also choose the 10 most inspiring photographs at the end of the contest.
- The prizes will be sent to the winners by post. All shipping costs will be borne by GTWHI.
- For more information on this contest, please contact Ms Chan Suat Ai ([email protected], 016-491 5839).